17/11/2021; 10:55 AM By : Steven D. Thompson
Sevilla president has revealed that the club is willing to do business for the defender.
Chelsea have a sticky situation on their hands. Some of their defensive personnel are coming to the end of their contracts. Getting them to renew their contracts with the club has been an issue. The club finds itself in a quandary, confused over whether to continue with a renewal course or raid the market for replacements.
Cesar Azpilicueta, Andreas Christensen and Antonio Rudiger have contractual issues with their current deals running out next summer. Chelsea maintains an interest in tying the players to new contracts, but it has proved abortive so far.
Manchester United have no such issues but want to bolster their defence with a top-quality defender. The Old Trafford side brought in Raphaël Varane in the summer, but a couple of injuries have kept him from the side as the team under Ole continues to leak goals like a sieve.
Both English clubs have been alerted by the latest update that puts well sought after defender Jules Kounde on the market.
Kounde is one of the most sought-after defenders in Europe, but Sevilla rebuffed offers for his services in the summer. Several clubs attempted to sign the defender, with Chelsea heading the queue.
Thomas Tuchel on Chelsea signing Jules Kounde in January: “If we see the same need, but clearly, Trevoh is now here with us and he deserves to be here with us. It had nothing to do with if we can sign another central defender or not. He stepped up”, he told @AdamNewson 🔵 #CFC pic.twitter.com/xM7vDHyY57— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) November 5, 2021
Real Madrid was also interested in acquiring the defender as they sought replacements for the departed Sergio Ramos.
Sevilla president José Castro Carmona has revealed that contrary to their position last summer, the club is now willing to listen to offers for the defender. The club president revealed their new stance when he discussed the defender’s future in the media.
The president, however, remains adamant about the figures for the defender. Without naming a figure, Castro insists Kounde would only leave for the right offer. Speaking with Cope, as cited by Football.London, Castro said that the player could go in January but will not budge on the figures.
In the summer, Chelsea were on the hunt for Jules Kounde. The 23-year-old was wanted at Stamford Bridge but baulked at the reported £68 million release clause. The Frenchman has less than three years left on his contract.
The current situation the Blues find themselves in dictates that Kounde has become a priority. With 13 appearances in all competitions this season, Kounde has again become the topic of discussion in Europe.
Chelsea will not be without competition for Kounde as Manchester United have also indicated interest amid their defensive woes.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, whose job is on the line, is keen to bolster his leaky defence.
Manchester United have managed just one clean sheet in more than ten matches this season, and Solskjaer is keen to remedy the situation as his job remains in the balance.
Kounde claims he is happy at the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán Stadium, but the Sevilla president will sanction a deal if the price is right.